I’d Rather Be Reading Potter

Monday. Say no more, right? How about Monday with Harry Potter #7 sitting at home on your nightstand with only 70 pages between you and the dramatic conclusion? Clearly my Monday trumps yours.

Having fully resisted the urge to give into the consumer frenzy that is Harry Potter #7 (due in large part to extreme disappointment with books #5 and #6 and in small part with a desire to be more frugal about books), I finally managed to get my hands on a borrowed copy from a dear friend about a week ago. Being that I was in the throes of another dramatic conclusion (Oh, Anita Blake, what a ridiculously guilty pleasure you are), I let Mr. Countess have first crack at the book. He raced through it in short order and declared it a satisfying end to the saga, which, if you knew the vehemence with which he resisted, was shocking and compelling all at once. (I promise–no spoilers in this post!!)

I am now 70 pages from the end, and cruelest of cruelties, was forced to set down the monstrously thick novel and hurry myself off to work. The conclusion will have to wait until this evening. Fiddlesticks!

Of course, now that I am near the end, I find myself with that odd mixture of reluctance and greed that is oh so familiar. I don’t want it to end. I want these dearest of friends to go on and on, yet I am compelled to know what happens!

Whatever will satisfy my attentions once I am finished?

This entry was posted in Remainders and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to I’d Rather Be Reading Potter

That is a crappy Monday, indeed! I know just how you’re feeling, that push-pull of wanting to race through and find out what happens versus savoring every word.

I’m so glad you’re almost done with the book, so we can discuss it!

I know! I can’t wait to engage in a lengthy discussion of the redeeming nature and merits of book #7.

But here is my next question. Yes, I want to continue with my Anita Blake obsession. But what next? What new world should I escape to? What new friends shall I make next?

I don’t know what it is, but I feel like I am rediscovering my love of reading. I suppose it could be that I recently gave myself permission to do it–for utter and pure enjoyment and relaxation. Whatever it is, I feel like I’ve fallen back in with a dear friend.

Finished at 10:24 pm yesterday, amidst much happiness and tears. What a satisfying end indeed. In my adult reading years I have frequently had a hard time rereading books, mostly because my brain keeps reminding me that there are so many books I haven’t read yet, but now that the series is finished, I really think I want to go back and reread them all straight through from beginning to end. I have felt all along that there were references to things that I was missing and subtle details I wasn’t picking up on because it had been so long since I last read the previous books (How can it be 7 years since I finally gave in and picked up the first one?!?!).

This morning I picked up Anita Blake (not wanting to let the recent reading enthusiasm wane) but the writing in comparison to Potter was so blah that I really don’t think I can stick with these right now. I was contemplating picking up Wicked, but I want to save that for the fall. Decisions, decisions, decisions…

Yay, I’m so glad you liked it! After I finished it, I looked around the web for commentary, and found reactions ranging from disappointed to vitriolic. I felt like the only reader over the age of 12 who was really satisfied with how it all turned out. And I thought the epilogue was just right, too, so there’s a whole bunch of cranky-pantsers out there who can just cram it, as far as I’m concerned.

My main reaction was the exact same as yours: I wanted to go right back to Book 1 and read them straight through again. I’m not doing it right now (way too much clamoring for my attention), but I know I will someday.

As to what to read next, I say if the Anita Blake isn’t holding your attention, go ahead and make it an early autumn by moving on to Wicked. You deserve an absorbing, entertaining read, and that’s a good one.

I mean, it is August already, Fall’s practically knocking on the door. For goodness sakes, if I’m knitting pumpkins (and I am!) you can certainly get started on your Fall reading list.

You’re knitting pumpkins?!?

I want to knit pumpkins!!!

You SO want to knit pumpkins. They’re super easy and cute and fun. I’ve got a big one finished and ready for felting, and am going to try to get a little one out of what’s left of my orange wool. The pattern is free at Knitty.com, so you can get busy with the punkin-makin!

Thanks to a suggestion that Modhran almost certainly regrets making, I may also be knitting up half a pumpkin and turning it into a beret instead of felting it.