Please Don’t Mind the Gap

A few months ago, I received an email from an old friend with whom I had lost contact. I wrote back immediately, and a month later, she wrote a second note. A couple of weeks later, I answered to her belated response with a quick, “I am thinking of you, and don’t want to let too much time elapse, but I can’t write much now. More soon.” That was the Fourth of July. Around August third, I had a breakthrough about the inertia in writing to this woman: I felt like I needed to somehow recap the missing four years for her, get her all caught up, and then we could move forward with our communications. Every time I thought about writing her, I was daunted by the idea of somehow encapsulating all that missing time.

I wrote to my friend immediately, explained what I’d realized, and said, “I hope you’ll forgive me if I just proceed as if no time has passed, and we can fill in the gaps as needed.” In the interest of getting this blog back on track, I’ll say the same to you: much has happened since our last posts in February””some good, some bad, some good-disguised-as-bad. Not having written about them at the time, I don’t feel like going back and recapping them now, but I feel the same inertia about communicating across a gap in time. And I’m giving myself the same out with blogging as I did with my friend: I’m going on as if we didn’t lose any time at all, and will fill in the gaps as needed.

Much has gone on in my book life, too. I’ve reverted to a childhood habit of having several books going at once””an audio book on the iPod, a book left by the bed, a book left at work for lunchtime reading, and e-books on the computer for inconspicuous reading during down times at work. I’m reading fantasy and historical fiction and chicklit and nonfiction memoirs all at once, and somehow tracking it all. I don’t know how long it will last””already, the historical fiction (Ken Follett’s Pillars of the Earth) has taken over both the bedtime and lunchtime slots””it’s too interesting not to give it every available reading moment. The history of Britain is much in mind these days: after the Follett, I have a biography of Churchill, a history of the Blitz, and Linda Colley’s Britons: the Forging of a Nation in the To Read stack, and I’m considering adding Rutherford’s London or Sarum to the mix. (Or perhaps I just need to get myself on a plane back to London already?)

While I was away, I had a torrid, page-devouring affair with Elizabeth Kostova’s The Historian, and a light-hearted weekend getaway with the last Harry Potter; I finished Laurie R. King’s Mary Russell series, and anxiously await more; I peeked into the seamy underbelly of modern life in Stephanie Plum’s New Jersey and devilish Dexter Morgan’s Miami; and I visited Appalachia, Italy, and 1950’s New York City with Adriana Trigiani. Many of these books deserve their own dedicated entries, few will get them, alack and alas.

Still, you never know what will come up as we fill in the gaps.

This entry was posted in Remainders and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Please Don’t Mind the Gap

This seems like as good a way to deal with the gaps as any. Right then, picking right up as if no time has passed…

I see you’re reading Wendy McClure’s book. I was a loyal Poundy reader for a long time, so I’m curious to hear about the book.

Guess I ought to update my current reads, eh…

Also, we need to select a new site read. It’s been too long since we’ve read a book together. Lets do pick one neither of us have read before.

And, I’m going to go see Becoming Jane tomorrow night. Without you. This seems so wrong to me.

Ah, you are SO in my head! I almost put up a second post soliciting suggestions for a site read. I have all that Rule Britannia stuff on deck, but will happily push it back in the interest of a co-read. I’ve got some 800 pages left in Pillars of the Earth so it’ll be a little while before I start something new. (Though we’re going camping this weekend, and I hope to make a substantial dent in it.)

The e-book I’m currently reading is Gormglaith, available for free online(Creative Commons licensed.) It’s weird and intriguing and I’m not sure yet if it’s something I would recommend, but have a look and see if it interests you. Otherwise, I’ll look at my shelves and you look at your shelves, and we’ll find something, I’m sure.

I had mixed reaction to the McClure. There were some great, laugh-out-loud sections, and I certainly empathize with her situation and her attitude about it, but I felt let down at the end, and it’s hard to put my finger on why.

I’m torn about Becoming Jane. I know it’s going to be complete tripe from a historical perspective, but from the swoony girl perspective, every time I see the commercial I want to run straight to the theater. Do let me know which side wins out, won’t you?

4. modhran says:

So this is like an email amnesty, where you decide you just have too much email in your inbox and decide to dump it all without responding?

I want to read a minute by minute recounting of the last 6 months, ladies.

heh.

Just glad to see you’re back.

5. Corvus says:

I totally have to read a book titled Gormglaith. I can’t wait for one month from now when my available reading time is going to increase dramatically!

Modhran: Yes, exactly. I have declared bankruptcy on my blog debt, and am starting fresh.

Corvus, I’ll welcome your insights into Gormglaith, if you read it. There’s quite a language barrier getting into it, but I’m starting to get into the rhythm of it and may even be gleaning some meaning. Early days yet.